- RSS Channel Showcase 2406755
- RSS Channel Showcase 8754574
- RSS Channel Showcase 5890001
- RSS Channel Showcase 4710365
Articles on this Page
- 11/13/16--15:03: _Maguphobia
- 11/20/16--15:00: _A killing but no ki...
- 11/27/16--15:00: _Excesses and excuses
- 01/08/17--15:00: _Ambode onstage
- 01/15/17--15:03: _Sound and silence
- 01/22/17--15:00: _Selective supremacy
- 01/29/17--15:00: _Forty-minute marvel
- 02/05/17--15:03: _Progressives need p...
- 02/12/17--15:00: _Ambode as resilienc...
- 02/19/17--15:03: _Thanksgiving and th...
- 02/26/17--15:00: _To blow or not to ...
- 03/05/17--15:03: _Rev King: Birthday ...
- 03/12/17--16:00: _Fayose: The other s...
- 03/19/17--16:03: _Ambode’s cultural ...
- 03/26/17--16:00: _Uniform question
- 04/02/17--16:03: _A mother’s metaphysics
- 04/09/17--16:00: _Has Lagos forgotten...
- 04/16/17--16:03: _Ambode and celebrat...
- 04/23/17--16:00: _Poverty of prosperity
- 11/13/16--15:03: Maguphobia
- 11/20/16--15:00: A killing but no killer
- 11/27/16--15:00: Excesses and excuses
- 01/08/17--15:00: Ambode onstage
- 01/15/17--15:03: Sound and silence
- 01/22/17--15:00: Selective supremacy
- 01/29/17--15:00: Forty-minute marvel
- 02/05/17--15:03: Progressives need progress
- 02/12/17--15:00: Ambode as resilience manager
- 02/19/17--15:03: Thanksgiving and thanksgiver
- 02/26/17--15:00: To blow or not to blow?
- 03/05/17--15:03: Rev King: Birthday on death row
- 03/12/17--16:00: Fayose: The other side of the coin
- 03/19/17--16:03: Ambode’s cultural logic
- 03/26/17--16:00: Uniform question
- 04/02/17--16:03: A mother’s metaphysics
- 04/09/17--16:00: Has Lagos forgotten Herbert Macaulay?
- 04/16/17--16:03: Ambode and celebration of history
- 04/23/17--16:00: Poverty of prosperity
In the country’s fight against corruption, anti-corruption fighters should be prepared to experience corrupt politics as well as the politics of corruption. It may well be that the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, underestimated the antagonism he was likely to experience from pro-corruption forces when he was appointed […]
Can murder happen without a murderer or murderers? This is the question that must be answered by the Kano State justice system concerning the murder of 74-year-old Mrs. Bridget Agbahime, a Christian of Igbo origin, in a Kano market in June following an accusation that she had been blasphemous. Her accusers had decided that she […]
It is ironic that what was designed as a medal of honour is attracting dishonour. After two four-year terms in office and an initial applause, former Edo State governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, and his former deputy, Dr. Pius Odubu, are on the receiving end of applaudable boos. At the heart of the matter is an […]
A December 11, 2016, performance by LUFODO Productions at the Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos, was gripping enough to hold the attention of Lagos State Governor Akinwunmi Ambode. After seeing a play titled Heart beat The Musical…A New Beginning, Ambode was quoted as saying: “I never believed I could sit down for two hours, I thought […]
There is a time to speak and a time to be silent. When former President Olusegun Obasanjo spoke about what was said about him in a 2010 book, it was clear that he considered silence inappropriate. It is intriguing that his reaction to the contents of the book came after six years, but this in […]
Perhaps only Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, the All Progressives Congress (APC) National Chairman, and those who think like him, understood what he meant when he boasted that the party had succeeded in re-establishing its supremacy, despite the activities of challengers of party primacy. He was quoted as saying: “What is important is that it has finally […]
It was a curious meeting of two curious men in curious circumstances. The public is curious about what they talked about and what they didn’t talk about during what was described as “strictly personal talks.” Curiously enough, the reunion of sorts reportedly lasted 40 minutes, which is enough time to talk about something in particular […]
Surely, it is a sign of the times that Afro-Pop artiste Tuface is set to lead a protest march against hard times and the federal government’s alleged mismanagement of the country’s economic crisis. A January 31 report said: “In a video on his Facebook account, which racked up more than 21,000 views after just an […]
If resilience is elasticity to manage change, then the inclusion of Lagos State in the circle of 100 Resilient Cities (100RC), a project of the U.S.-based Rockefeller Foundation, is a testimony to the administrative adroitness of the Akinwunmi Ambode administration. As Governor of Lagos State at a historically significant juncture when the state is celebrating its […]
W hen a thankful thanksgiver with a heart full of thanks organises a thanksgiving service, it should be expected that he would give a testimony. Former Delta State Governor James Ibori, who returned to Nigeria after serving time in the United Kingdom for corruption–related crime, gave a curious testimony at the First Baptist Church, Oghara, […]
There is no information about whistleblowers that have been paid for whistleblowing based on the President Muhammadu Buhari administration’s anti-corruption strategy for the recovery of stolen public funds. But there is news about a whistleblower that turned down the payment due to him because he considered whistleblowing a patriotic responsibility. Other whistleblowers may not be […]
This is what happens when death row becomes a place of life. A full-page congratulatory communication published in THISDAY on February 27 was a remarkable reminder that Rev. Chukwuemeka Ezeugo, better known as Rev. King, has not been hanged despite a Supreme Court ruling. Under the banner, “Congratulations to our Daddy G. O.”, the communication […]
Those who desperately demonise Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose tend to downplay the reality of the other side of the coin, meaning there may be reasons to lionise him. Fayose said some things recently that were food for thought. But those who refuse to see any sense in what he says missed the point. When […]
Well-rounded governance is an expression of well-rounded thinking. In a striking demonstration of the possibilities of political governance, Lagos State Governor Akinwunmi Ambode continues to raise the bar for cultural thinking in political office. Ambode’s latest cultural statement, the presentation of Museum Possibilities and the unveiling of the design for a new world-class museum at […]
It isn’t trivial that the controversial Comptroller-General of Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Colonel Hameed Ali (retd), continues to trivialise the uniform of the agency by his unyielding refusal to wear it. From the look of things, Ali is unlikely to wear the relevant uniform during his time as Customs chief. He enjoys the status, but […]
When a domestic storm becomes undomesticated and turns into a public show, it is sure to grip public attention and imagination. This is the case with the legal case involving Mrs. Taiwo Obasanjo who has asked a Lagos High Court to stop her son’s wedding scheduled for May 11 and 12. She filed a suit […]
Long before Lagos became a megacity famed for its remarkable resilience, a mega figure did mega things to advance its development and the progress of Nigeria. Herbert Macaulay, widely acknowledged as the ‘Father of Nigerian Nationalism’, made his exit almost 71 years ago on May 7, 1946, at age 81, but his spirit is energetically […]
History is here and deserves a welcome. The journey to this juncture took 50 years. The journey will continue, but this is time to take a look back at the beginning and to look forward to unending continuity. It is symbolic that the year-long celebration of the 50th anniversary of Lagos State, which will climaxRead More
Rich tributes enriched the 60th birthday of Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, on April 10, but there was no publicised striking philanthropic gesture by the Nigerian billionaire businessman to mark the milestone. At the helm of the Dangote Group, “which has interests in commodities,” Dangote is well rated among the world’s super-rich giants. He is theRead More